Monday, April 16, 2012

Java Stanford NLP: Part of Speech labels?

The Stanford NLP, demo'd here, gives an output like this:



Colorless/JJ green/JJ ideas/NNS sleep/VBP furiously/RB ./.


What do the Part of Speech tags mean? I am unable to find an official list. Is it Stanford's own system, or are they using universal tags? (What is JJ, for instance?)



Also, when I am iterating through the sentences, looking for nouns, for instance, I end up doing something like checking to see if the tag .contains('N'). This feels pretty weak. Is there a better way to programmatically search for a certain part of speech?





1 comment:

  1. I know it is pretty old question but let me answer just for someone else reference.

    You can find the POS tags meaning from the resource
    http://acl.ldc.upenn.edu/J/J93/J93-2004.pdf

    JJ means Adjective.

    As of now I am also searching for a specific POS tag by traversing through the parse tree and searching for a specing POS using contains method of string class. If you find any other better solution please let me know :)

    ReplyDelete